God speaks to people in different ways. He directed Joseph by several dreams. He spoke to Moses from the burning bush in an audible voice (Exodus 3:2-4), and He led the Israelites in the wilderness by a pillar of cloud and fire (Exodus 13:21). He also spoke to the Israelites via the Urim and Thummim (Numbers 27:21).
- He showed David his calling through the prophet Samuel (1 Samuel 16:3-13).
- He rebuked David through Nathan (2 Samuel 12:1-14).
- God gave battle tactics to David (1 Chronicles 14:10, 14).
- He sent words to the prophet Jehu for others (1 Kings 16:7, 12).
- He whispered to Elijah in a still small voice (1 Kings 19:11-12).
- God sent the Archangel Gabriel to Mary (Luke 1:26-35).
- Jesus appeared personally to Paul in a glorified body (Acts 26:14-19 and 1 Corinthians 15:3-8).
- Agabus the prophet warned the disciples of an impending famine (Acts 11:28-30).
- The Holy Spirit told Philip what to do (Acts 8:29).
- The Holy Spirit led the early Christians (Acts 10:19, Acts 13:2 and Acts 16:6-7).
- Timothy was directed through the laying on of hands by the presbytery (1 Timothy 4:14 and 2 Timothy 1:7).
My sheep hear My voice and I know them and they follow Me– John 10:27
This is an extract from the book Discipleship for Everyday Living by Mathew Backholer and is used with permission.